Can someone explain what the appeal of Hamsphere is? I have played with it a
few times, and I just can't get over the fact that nothing is really
transmitting on frequencies. It's not much different than a voice chat server
with a ton of channels. It seems like a nice way to play with the concepts
without needing the equipment, but other than a really really basic learning
tool, how is it practical in any way?

There's something that having laws to restrict transmissions on real
frequencies and the need for relatively costly equipment that makes real
transmissions that much more interesting, even if you're just scanning bands
and not participating in amateur radio (which is also a blast).

And doesn't hamsphere have some kind of subscription cost?! Please, tell me
what the appeal is so I can die knowing.

-Kevin