On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 9:07 AM Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krish...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Fernando,
>
> On Aug 31, 2019, at 10:09 AM, Fernando Gont <ferna...@gont.com.ar> wrote:
>
> On 30/8/19 20:24, Ron Bonica wrote:
>
> Li,
>

> In the scenarios that you mention, below, SRv6 nodes have the following
>

> 1. To prepend and IPv6 header, with its own SRH
> 2. To insert an SRH, as described below
>

> Option 1 is in keeping with the word and spirit of RFC 8200. As you
> point out, Option 2 contradicts RFC 8200.
>

> So, we should probably explore the motivation for Option 2). If the
> motivation is not sufficient, we should probably standardize on Option 1.
>

> My argument would be:
> Folks would do whatever they please with 1). If somehow they feel the
> need to do 2), they should *refrain from even suggesting it*, post an
> internet draft that proposes to update RFC8200 to allow for the
> insertion of EHs, wait for that to be adopted and published, and only
> then suggest to do EH insertion.
>

> I have put down my thoughts on the future of header insertion work in a
> mail to the 6man list in May 2017. The mail can be found below
>
> https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ipv6/4MevopH9_iQglUizhoT5Rl-TjRc
>

> P.S.: Given the amount of discussion there has been on this topic in the
> context of RFC8200, I'd like to hope that there's no draft-ietf document
> suggesting EH-insertion or, if there is, the relevant ADs and chairs
> make sure that's not the case anymore.
>

> Yes. If a draft violates RFC8200 and it hits the IESG for evaluation, I
> will certainly hold a DISCUSS position until the violations are fixed.
>
> Thanks
> Suresh

Thanks. It sounds to me the the SR folks are re-inventing NSH in ipv6.

The internet layer is a narrow waist.

My humble opinion is SR has the same real market traction as  LISP and NSH,
meaning very niche, but loud.

They should look at publishing in the experimental track before asking for
the world.

Regards,
Cameron