On 12-Mar-20 05:06, Alexander Vainshtein wrote:
> Darren,
>
> Lots of thanks for the clarification.
>

> However, I have several issues with your response:
>
> 1.       The SRH draft is a 6MAN document. I am not sure if the provision for
> new documents defining new SID types and their handling means that such
> definitions can be done in the documents handled by other WGs,

They certainly can, because the decision point in the IETF is not the WG; it's
the IESG, following an IETF Last Call. It's very common for one WG to build on
the output of another.

> especially since we see strong opposition to these changes from several
> participants of the 6MAN WG. (To make it clear, I am not a 6MAN WG member,
> and personally  neutral about PSP - but I am worried about the IETF process)
>
> 2.       The SRv6 Network  Programming draft has a Normative reference to the
> SRH draft, but it does not ever mentions that it updates it (not in the text
> and not in the Metadata).

An extension is not necessarily an "update". This is a weakness in our
vocabulary, and there is a current proposal to change it:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kuehlewind-update-tag

> 3.       Section 4.3.1 of the SRH draft defines the behavior associated with
> the SRv6 SID that */is locally instantiated/*, and explains that other SID
> types may be defined. But PSP-flavored SIDs are NOT locally instantiated in
> the penultimate node, they are instantiated in the ultimate node of the path.
> Therefore (and I may be too literal in my interpretation of the SRH draft), I
> think that the provision for new documents defining new SID types */only
> applies to locally instantiated SIDs of the handling node/*  and does not
> cover the PSP case.

I think this is governed by RFC8402, as I mentioned yesterday.

> In my original email I have suggested to the PSP/USP proponents to post a
> draft that updates the SRH one (or the RFC that hopefully soon will be
> published) - and to run it thru the 6MAN WG in the usual manner. I understand
> that his will take time, but I still think that this would be the most
> appropriate way to resolve the current conflict that has already gone too far.

I don't see how that would help, since the argument is about the interpretation
of RFC8200 (and RFC4291), not about the SRH spec.

Regards
    Brian