Hi Jeff,
I am coming back. Please see inline comments starts with Fan1>>.

发件人: Jeffrey (Zhaohui) Zhang [mailto:zzh...@juniper.net]
发送时间: 2021年5月27日 4:26
收件人: Yangfan (IP Standard) <shirley.yang...@huawei.com>; 'Rishabh Parekh'
<risha...@gmail.com>
抄送: 'Arvind Venkateswaran (arvvenka)' <arvve...@cisco.com>; Gengxuesong (Geng
Xuesong) <gengxues...@huawei.com>; 'spring@ietf.org' <spring@ietf.org>;
'Rishabh Parekh (riparekh)' <ripar...@cisco.com>
主题: RE: [spring] 答复: Comments on draft-geng-spring-sr-redundancy-protection

Hi Fan,

In this thread I’ll address another point that I deferred. I snipped unrelated
text.

Zzh6> It’s important to distinguish between control plane and data plane. In
data plane it is always a simple SID (replication or redundancy). In control
plane (that sets up the replication/redundancy state on relevant nodes), it
could be whatever.

Fan> I try to compare the two solutions redundancy protection and P2MP
replication as follows, hope it can help the understandings.

<redundancy protection> , <Redundancy SID> ,  <service is identified by
Red-SID, Red-SID triggers redundancy policy to assign candidate paths between
redundancy node and merging node>
<P2MP replication> ,  <P2MP policy identifier (root-id, tree-id)> ,  <P2MP
policy gives the tree structure of the P2MP service, replication segment is an
atomic building block for packet replication and stays in root, bud and leaf>

Although each solution includes a SID and a SR-Policy, there are totally
different mechanisms. I don’t think it is just a representation difference.

In your representation for Redundancy solution, you mentioned “candidate
paths”. I would change it to “replication branches”, because “candidate paths”
in SR policies have a different meaning.
Fan1>> Firstly, I don’t see much difference of candidate path either in SR
policy or in Redundancy policy.

Basically, the redundancy policy would replicate incoming traffic and send them
down to different paths.
Fan1>> Secondly, redundancy policy doesn’t specify the replication instruction,
which is indicated by redundancy segment. Redundancy policy just extends SR
policy to support more than one usable candidate path. Though it is not
detailed explained in the draft, you can simply regard redundancy policy as an
SR policy including two candidate paths with same preferences.

No additional replication is done downstream and this corresponds to the
“Ingress Replication” concept in multicast/p2mp.
Fan1>> in our design, the headend and endpoint of redundancy protection would
be the redundancy node and merging node. In terms of your solution, downstream
node would be the merging node. Of course you can put elimination behavior in
the other nodes behind the node at which the packets from different path
actually flow to and get together, but this is how you put the redundancy
protection mechanism in your solution.

For <identifier of service>, you used “redundancy SID” and “P2MP policy
identifier” respectively. As I mentioned before, in the data plane both just
use a SID. In the control plane (i.e., how the replication/redundancy segment
is installed), the identifier could be anything for both solutions, including a
SID.

For replication segment based solution, unless the replication is to more than
two copies and done by a multi-level tree (node 1 replicating to node 2 and 3,
and then node 2 replicating to node 4 and 5), then it is “Ingress Replication”
and no different from the redundancy segment solution.

BTW, P2MP policy (with tree identification, candidate paths, set of leaves,
etc.) are really just control plane information on the root. It does not give
the tree structure either. Instead, the entire replication tree are just
concatenated replication segments on root, leaves and intermediate replication
nodes. The intermediate replication nodes are optional (i.e., Ingress
Replication), and in that case there is no difference from the redundancy
segment.

Fan1>> From data plane perspective, replication segment and redundancy segment
share the replication instruction, differ from whether to encap FI and SN at
the same time. I will leave this FI,SN adding discussion to another email
thread.
However, from control plane perspective, two solutions are quite different on
how redundancy protection service is provided. Since redundancy protection is
more likely used in unicast scenario, (it can be used for multicast, but let’s
leave it to a separate thread), it doesn’t make sense to extend BGP MVPN
attribute for a unicast redundancy protection service.

Again, I don’t argue the possibility of using replication segment and P2MP
policy as one solution to provide redundancy protection. We provide our
approach to achieve redundancy protection. Replication segment is just the
second approach. But I don’t believe the saying that the approach A is the
approach B. Actually, both of them can the solutions to provide redundancy
protection. I even think we can collaborate on this topic. What do you think? ☺

Regards,
Fan

Jeffrey

Juniper Business Use Only