From: spring <spring-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Gyan Mishra
<hayabusa...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 at 2:37 PM
To: James Guichard <jguic...@futurewei.com>
Cc: spring@ietf.org <spring@ietf.org>, spring-cha...@ietf.org
<spring-cha...@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [spring] WG Adoption Call for
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-gandhi-spring-stamp-srpm-06.txt

Dear Authors

I support WG adoption once the document is updated fixing the critical
substantive issues that exist in the draft as it stands today.

I have worked Rakesh and authors on feedback on the draft, and as the draft is
well written, I do appreciate that the issues mentioned in previous discussions
being incorporated to help improve the draft.

This draft was initially on Standards Track and as this draft is procedural
only, reusing existing IPPM OAM framework to apply to SR, Greg Mirksy and
myself requested this draft be changed to Informational.  I am happy to see the
authors did follow our comments and recommendations to change to informational.

However, for this informational track document to be adopted by the WG, the
substantive issues need to be addressed.  As this draft is informational from a
procedural standpoint if this draft was not proposed, there is nothing
preventing STAMP or TWAMP to function over an SR both SR-MPLS or SRv6.

By proposing a draft that has substantive issues related to what is being
proposed procedurally, the question that come to mind is what is the purpose or
benefit to even having this draft given what I stated above that IPPM STAMP and
TWAMP will work and function fine without this drafts existence.

I think the above statement is all the more reasons that it is critical to get
this draft cleaned up prior to WG adoption.

This draft PM procedures is in scope for both SR-MPLS and SRv6.

This draft is trying to reuse RFC 8762 STAMP for SR, however with the chosen
verbiage describing the mode used, it seems to be changing the way STAMP
operates per specification.   If the goal is to use STAMP in this informational
context defining a special procedure for SR, this draft cannot alter or change
the inner workings of STAMP.

What is the reason for setting TTL to 1 and not use TTL 255 GTSM defined in RFC
5082.

Also, Section 5 provides a very intriguing statement:
  This method can be used for inferred packet loss measurement,
  however, it does not provide accurate data packet loss metric.

>From a measurement and performance metics perspective for SR-MPLS as it reuses
>the MPLS data plane the preferred method would be to use the entropy label RFC
>6790, RFC 8662 for in band native data traffic than using IPv4 as once the
>packet is labeled the packet is label switched so using a label would be in
>band and in line with the MPLS forwarding plane.

All of these questions as well as ones mentioned by Greg Mirsky should be
addressed by the authors before this draft can be adopted.

Kind Regards

Gyan

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 8:34 AM James Guichard