I am looking for some input from the forum on how you treat a isolated
vertical obstruction that restricts only one ESFR sprinkler head. It is
both above and below the sprinkler. Such as a round exhaust duct from a
unit heater below up through the deck or a plumber drain stack? An
informal request to NFPA resulted in this response "Section 8.12.5.2(5)
allows sprinklers with special obstruction allowance shall be installed
in accordance with its listing. ESFR sprinklers have very particular
obstruction criteria, and interpolation, or modification of obstruction
rules is not allowed." I have yet to find a ESFR sprinkler to address
this issue, in the past I have followed the rules for isolated
obstructions below the sprinkler to provide guidance. It seems
impractical to expect a storage building to be constructed without any
vertical obstructions.
Thanks,
Dewayne Martinez
Design Build Fire Protection
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum