A 10.4.1 clearly states "Recommended Depths".  Also, at the beginning of
Annex A you will find this text: 

"Annex A is not a part of the requirements of this NFPA document but is
included for informational purposes only. This annex contains explanatory
material, numbered to correspond with the applicable text paragraphs."


Tony Liddic, CET
Fire Sprinkler Designer
AEC Fire & Security
400 Fame Rd.
West Carrollton, OH  45449
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Randy Knutson
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2007 5:33 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Depth of Cover

I don't know if this is getting posted. If this shows up several times
forgive me.

 

 

If I know what my frost depth is locally do I have follow Figure A 10.4.1 in
NFPA 13?

Our local frost depth is 24". Per NFPA 13:10.4.2 "The top of pipe shall be
buried not less than 1 ft. below the frost line for locality."

That gives me a 36" depth of bury from top of pipe.

 

The local AHJ saying that it has to have 4'-6" of cover because that is what
is shown in figure A 10.4.1. 

 

I'm arguing that this is a recommendation to be used if you don't have your
frost depth for your locality.

 

He says the Figure A 10.4.1 gives the required depth.

 

Please help. 

 

Thank you,

 

Randy Knutson

Shilo Automatic Sprinkler, Inc.

 

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum


_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

Reply via email to