Yes the ceiling is attached to hat channel leaving a gap between the ceiling
and the bottom chord of the joist.

Many thanks to Jeff, Joe and Roland. Got me out of a bogg once again.

Russell



 

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Roland
Huggins
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 10:26 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: NFPA13 Dwelling vs Mercantile

When you say DIRECTLY attached ceiling, is there a C channel (used to  
dampen sound transmission through the floor assembly) or does the  
ceiling actually touch the wood chord?  If there is a C channel, the  
dreaded 3-1/2 inches of insulation is required in order to omit  
sprinklers from the concealed space.

As Joe quoted (from the Sprinkler HANDBOOK), the 3,000 sq ft remote  
area does not apply YET.  The TC is changing that for the 2010 edition  
(watch for the exciting new book NFPA 13 ROP to be released next month)

Roland

On May 15, 2008, at 1:01 PM, Russell wrote:

> Again I’ve come across something I’ve never dealt with so I am going  
> to need
> your help please. Recently there has been discussion concerning the  
> fact
> that NFPA13R occupancies cannot be over mercantile occupancies that  
> are not
> incidental to the residential occupancy. What I have is a three story
> building with mercantile on the ground level. The other two floors  
> above are
> apartments. The entire building is designed by NFPA13 standards. The
> apartments are designed using the “Dwelling” section of NFPA13. So  
> far I’m
> okay I think, but now I find that the floor system for second and  
> third
> floor is comprised of “TJI” composite wood joist with the ceilings  
> directly
> attached thus creating combustible concealed spaces and requiring the
> dreaded minimum 3000 sq. ft. design area. The question is does this  
> now make
> the use of NFPA13 “Dwelling” null and void? It would appear to me  
> that it
> would, but I need other opinions/rulings.
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Russell
>
>

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG. 
Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.16/1445 - Release Date: 5/15/2008
7:25 PM
 

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG. 
Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.16/1445 - Release Date: 5/15/2008
7:25 PM
 

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to