Then that's very new. It was only a few months ago I last called Tyco on
this. They absolutely say only attics. No actual occupancy below. And
they quit at 12/12. I couldn't get the why out of them. Either they didn't
do parts of the UL199 test like the pans or they tried it and it didn't
work. My bet is they tried it in their lab and something wouldn't pass the
test like density minimums in each pan. But I speculate.
We've run perpendicular to the ridge line down the truss and used sidewalls
spraying parallel to the ridge line. But I don't think that helps you. Do
you have a peak line and then start the spacing down the slopes or do you
have 2 lines at the same elevation at the high point and those are your
problem. If so can you get a peak line in to substitute for the 2 lines.
Probably a place where a picture does good.
In a round about way I also think you expose a flaw in the UL199. They test
for closeness at the same elevation but in reality adjacent basic heads
could be 11" different. Often wondered if that was a problem. And 28/12
certainly creates a mess. And there is no testing on slopes that I know of.
Chris Cahill, P.E.
Fire Protection Engineer
Sentry Fire Protection, Inc.
763-658-4483
763-658-4921 fax
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mail: P.O. Box 69
Waverly, MN 55390
Location: 4439 Hwy 12 SW
Waverly, MN 55390
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Joe Hankins
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2008 1:28 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: steep pitch roofs
Could you use Attic sprinklers at the peak? They accomplish the same
intent as sidewalls at the peak, and have actually been tested in that
configuration.
Joe
Todd Williams - FPDC wrote:
> I am working on a historic church sanctuary with a pitch of
> approximately 28/12. The arrangement calls for branch lines to be
> symmetrical on each side, similar to NFPA 13 (2002) figure
> 8.6.4.1.3.1(b). I can meet the requirements for the steeply pitched
> roof section 8.6.4.1.3.3 and my "S" distance over the peak is good,
> but my straight line distance between sprinklers would be less than 6
> ft and the deflectors would be effectively pointing the discharge
> towards the sprinkler on the opposite side. I think I have a problem
> here, but I am not sure how to address it. Any thoughts?
>
> Todd G. Williams, PE
> Fire Protection Design/Consulting
> Stonington, Connecticut
> www.fpdc.com
> 860.535.2080 _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
>
> To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
>
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)