Pagni, at Berkeley and a grad-student made
a computer program to predict glass breakage
from fire exposure.  Think that was back in the 80s'.

It wasn't air bubbles or liquefaction that caused
window breakage in their findings.  It was heating
differences between exposed glass and the glass
shielded by the frame.  The difference (radiative
heating being a component)
between exposed and shielded glass created
enough strain to break the pane.

so, Ron, I guess it is possible to have a fire
burn far enough away from the window, to break
that window while not activating the window sprinkler,
particularly from expsosure fires.  Tyco passed
the test, but we can't dis them for this: regulatory
capture. The WS has game in the overwhelming
majority of applications.

We were told in some threads to throw away logic
and do what the Code prescribes.  And that covers
our ifs, ands or butts.  But the truth is, there still is
the remote (and assumable) chance that in an unsprinklered
building where we use the window sprinkler to assist
us in achieving a wall rating... e.g. in the case of a 2 story
wall uninterrupted by a floor that has glass comprising only the
bottom story... there is a real possibility that the
window sprinkler system will not prevent window
breakage from a fire.

Then the next question is, for the engineer or architect
at least,  so what if the wall breaks?
It is a big what if,  if the fire exposes a nursery school, or retirement
home, or similar life safety challenge, but in many occupancies,
everyone of reasonable mobility abilities will still exit safely.
Property protection is another mention.

scot deal
excelsior fire protection