Tom,
If that is the old plant in RI in the upper part of the bay, I did a
small job there years ago. Stayed away from the pump, however. (I
think it is actually half way between you and me.) When I was with
FM, I did a number of pump tests at the mills around Fall River and
New Bedford where they took suction out of the river or bay (or
filled cisterns from there) Most of that water was brackish, though.
Never saw the foam. I learned the lesson about watching where the
water goes from one of the guys that trained me at FM. Early in his
career, he accidentally filled a company president's convertible
Mercedes from the inspector's test connection.
At 07:44 PM 1/17/2009, you wrote:
It's not as common as it used to be me thinks.
Almost positive (our reg's aren't worldwide) but with the salt, proximity to
waterways, etc., it sounds like am RPZ is required.
Testing is a nuisance, like Thom said.
I used to test a right angle diesel driven pump taking salt water from a
canal, it was an old samsonite plant not too far from Todd. You should see
salt water when it's compressed and discharged. It almost foams. Funny,
years ago when we first tested this pump we had NO IDEA what we were into
and used the old stocked playpipes (remember when they used to keep
playpipes, hose, spanners and everything right there in the pump house?) on
the outside header. My brother and I ended up washing about 30 cars and
trucks that got salt spray all over them. I haven't been there in a few
years, I wonder who the lucky ones are now?
Tom Duross
We have done Military systems supplied with Salt or Brackish water. The
systems were filled with fresh water, and the salt water was on the supply
side of the RPZ. The only difficult was when testing, the salt water supply
had to be shut off and a fresh water supply connected to test flow switches.
The main drain test was never performed, so they could avoid having to flush
the entire system.
I believe that Viking has a "Halar" coated valve for salt water application.
Others may as well.
Thom McMahon, SET
Does anyone know of any special procedures required for salt water supply
for fire sprinkler system? is it allowed? any code references?
George Medina Jr.
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
Todd G. Williams, PE
Fire Protection Design/Consulting
Stonington, Connecticut
www.fpdc.com
860.535.2080
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]
To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)