From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org
[mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org] On Behalf Of Todd Williams
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 5:45 AM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: Re: Exposed cpvc

Are all 4 walls opened up? My personal opinion is thew the GC is taking the
easy way out of some bad (or lack of) engineering on the part of the HVAC
guy. There is probably a solution where a louver of correct size could be
installed to give the required air flow. Sounds like he needs to go back and
figure what is actually needed.

At 03:54 AM 3/24/2009, you wrote:

>The following is from Tyco Blazemaster installation manual, for exposed
>installation:
>
>"Horizontal Sidewall sprinklers shall be Listed, Quick Response, 200
>deg.F maximum temperature rated, having deflectors within 12 inches of
>the ceiling and within 6 inches of the side wall. The maximum distance
>between sprinklers shall not exceed 14 feet. Piping shall be mounted
>directly to the side wall."
>
>The situation I have is a single q/r sidewall sprinkler in a small
>mechanical closet containing a heat pump in a 13 residential,
>non-combustible building. Piping runs in the ceiling space and drops
>down in walls to feed the sidewall head, installed 12 inches below the
>ceiling. (The head is 12" down to clear obstructions and I feel that is
>okay as the room is very small. The problem is the General has opened
>up the walls (above the level of the sidewall head) for return air to
>the heat pump. Now the cpvc dropping from the ceiling is exposed.
>
>I see two problems. (1) Heat will probably go past the sprinkler
>delaying its activation. (2) There is no drywall behind the cpvc piping
>as per its listing.
>
>See any solutions? The General does not want to close up all the walls.
>The closet is about 6 feet x 3 feet and 8 feet high. The openings in
>the walls are about 11" below the ceiling. Are they large enough for
>the plumes to go past the head? How can the piping be protected? Has
>anyone come across any material such as fire resistant insulation or
>fire retardant paint? It is not feasible to protect all the piping in
>the ceiling space, but maybe the piping nearest to the opening?
>
>Tony

Todd G. Williams, PE
Fire Protection Design/Consulting
Stonington, Connecticut