Russell, I think the intent of 8.16.4.1 is to not allow insulation on
branchlines.  As you've pointed out, critical parts of the sprinkler system
(the sprinklers) will either be covered with insulation (major obstruction)
or not insulated at all (defeating the whole purpose).  I think your options
are limited to a dry system, an antifreeze system, or dry sprinklers.

Ed Kramer
Littleton, CO

> Agreed. Where I am located geographically, the low temps are temporary.
> Not
> of a duration that a good insulation can't handle. I'm in a position to
> answer a GC's question. But back to my question; can I or can't I use
> insulation on branch lines (per NFPA13)? I'm against it. In my location
> the
> problem I see with just insulation without heat tape is the water in the
> part of the sprinkler just beneath the seat (I'm dealing with upright
> sprinklers here). I would be very afraid of this. Plus the thickness of
> the
> insulation may go to the diameter that may require sprigs.
> 
> 
> Thanks to you and to Timothy for your input.
> 
> Russell

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to