Nope and nope.  From '02 8.14.1.2.3 has NO limitation on ceiling material.
At least this is what I think you are after.  You don't even need gypsum.
Could in theory use expanded foam, ACT, plywood, dimensional lumber or what
ever you could think up. Now I won't recommend expanded foam of course.  I'd
say it has to be thermally thick enough not to melt or retract before
sprinkler activation and at reasonable sprinkler controlled fire gas
temperatures. So tissue paper and nylon/spandex are bad choices. 

And with your description not sure where the combustible concealed space is.
2 x 9 is usually obstructed construction and you could run 15" deflectors
below with no ceiling.      

Chris Cahill, P.E.
Fire Protection Engineer
Sentry Fire Protection, Inc.
 
763-658-4483
763-658-4921 fax
 
Email: [email protected]
 
Mail: P.O. Box 69
        Waverly, MN 55390
 
Location: 4439 Hwy 12 SW
              Waverly, MN 55390

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Russell
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:16 PM
To: AFSA
Subject: Concealed spaces

I need some facts or opinions. Mine doesn't seem to count any longer. I have
2x9 solid wood floor joist (150 year old historical building) that I'm
attaching gypsum board to the bottom in order to eliminate having to
sprinkler a concealed combustible space. The architect is asking me if the
gypsum board needs a fire rating and do the joints need to be mudded. I say
yes to both but he needs more than my opinion.

Can you help, please?

 

 

Russell Rewis

Brown Automatic Sprinklers, Inc.

107C Hemlock Street

Valdosta, Georgia 31601

229-244-8130

[email protected]

 

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to