Now I understand the need for gypsum or some other non-com ceiling.  As long
as the joints are tight, just butted together, I don't see the need for
tape.  It's really a matter of opinion as there is nothing in code to point
at for what constitutes a ceiling or the enclosure of combustible
construction.  True in a house the garage wall is required to be taped but I
think this is performance wise MAYBE a higher standard.  If this were ACT
within 6" you'd also not be required to sprinkler.  ACT has to "leak" more
than tight butted gypsum.  (geeh "tight butted gypsum"  I think I hear some
ribbing coming here)  

I'd also ask why even rock?  You'll be running the pendant branch line
piping through the space right?  Wouldn't brass uprights on sprigs if
necessary to 15" below the floor be cheaper?  And IMHO sprinklers are better
protection than gypsum.     

Chris Cahill, P.E.
Fire Protection Engineer
Sentry Fire Protection, Inc.
 
763-658-4483
763-658-4921 fax
 
Email: [email protected]
 
Mail: P.O. Box 69
        Waverly, MN 55390
 
Location: 4439 Hwy 12 SW
              Waverly, MN 55390


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Russell
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:00 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Concealed spaces

I failed to add that the gypsum will be applied directly to the floor
joist
and a suspended tile ceiling will be installed a couple feet below the
gypsum.
The gypsum, if not sealed at the joints could allow fire to enter the
concealed joist space thus defeating the purpose of the gypsum. That's
just
what I envision but it may not pose a problem. My theory, however; will
not
be what he architect is looking for.

Thanks



Russell

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email
to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to