From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org
[mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org] On Behalf Of Law, Kevin W
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:44 PM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: RE: Underground flushing velocities

We had a problem with our construction group wanting to allow a lower
flow than the 10ft/s velocity in the lines saying that it was the
maximum the system would flow, but they were only opening a single
hydrant.  We insisted and finally got them to get more hose monsters and
flowed more hydrants to get a proper flush on the underground piping.
The wording about the maximum is so that if you have a system that will
flow 20ft/s in the line, then that is the rate you flush at to ensure
that anything that could break loose and jamb up a sprinkler system has
worked its way throught and out of the system and not during a fire when
you need it.  When the fire department is there and they need more water
they are going to get it if it is to be had.

Kevin Law, PE
Bechtel National, Inc.
Waste Treatment Project
Fire Protection Engineering