Oh BARF!!! Doubt we'll ever use the Bilbo Velocity Formula in a class for hand calc's, but it is awesome for spreadsheets and programming. It is amazing what a little "fresh" thinking will do for ya'. I wish I had the guts to do some of the stuff I see being "performance based designed" out there. Your pumps and your designs are off the hook George. I just don't know many companies that are willing to spend the money (make the investment) to get to the point where they can do it. This industry isn't standing still and I applaud everyone that is trying to learn and keep up! Tomorrow, our students will be turning in a full and complete submital, stocklist and calc on an Attic I dreamed up. (It's midterms already!!) They are using Attic type sprinklers and it is fun to watch them have to step outside the box of typical sprinklers and spacing. Peaks, Hips, and eave sprinklers..... And all in 3-D too! The students could use some real projects to work on! (But I suppose that is true for everyone right now.....)
Later dudes, Cecil Bilbo Academy of Fire Sprinkler Technology Champaign, IL 845-878-4200 x138 www.sprinkleracademy.com > From: [email protected] > To: [email protected] > Subject: RE: Calcium Chloride antifreeze protection > Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 19:40:52 -0400 > > Like our friend's brilliant son's formula for solving calcs without trial > and error. > Asked why we use trial and error instead of just solving it, and worked on > the formula until he got it right. > A rocket scientist in our business couldn't find fault with it. > A lot of midnight oil but Cecil will someday be teaching a class on > hydraulic calcs and teach students a formula named after his son who > developed it. Skyman is a chip off the old Cecil. > > -----Original Message----- > From: [email protected] > [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Thom > Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:16 PM > To: [email protected]; [email protected] > Subject: RE: Calcium Chloride antifreeze protection > > So what your saying is when you run into something in the code or standard > that has been there a while, you question if this is the only way to do it? > That's always a good start, but for things to change you also have to be > willing to follow thru and do the research, testing and get the "Proof" that > your alternative will perform as well as or better than the existing > approved practice, and then commit to that all important step---Submit it > for review (Proposal to NFPA) > > We all have what we consider "Good" ideas from time to time, but how many of > us follow thru? > > Follow thru on finding a new safe antifreeze, and then name it after > yourself, or your dog or a beloved member of this forum. But you can't even > consider what to name it until you've paid the due's. > > Thom > > -----Original Message----- > From: [email protected] > [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Brad > Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:12 AM > To: [email protected] > Subject: RE: Calcium Chloride antifreeze protection > > Matt- it never was 'up for consideration' as a possible resolution- just > another one of my hair-brained hypotheticals- (my latest for solving the AF > problem was inspired by G as he ripped me to shreds- I call it Mexican > Jumping Water- moving water is harder to freeze). I have no problem with > doing things the way they have always been done, but being level 4, I feel > bad when someone asks me why I am doing something that way, the only reason > I can give them is "Because that is how it is has always been done". This > industry needs, young, original thinkers, and old, stodgy thinkers both. > > > _______________________________________________ > Sprinklerforum mailing list > [email protected] > http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum > > For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected] > > To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected] > (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field) > > _______________________________________________ > Sprinklerforum mailing list > [email protected] > http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum > > For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected] > > To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected] > (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field) _______________________________________________ Sprinklerforum mailing list [email protected] http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected] To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected] (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
