Windows XP Mode requires Win7 Pro or Ultimate OS.
I had to upgrade my home laptop PC [64-bit] OS from Home Premium to Pro
to get it so I can run old programs.
It is a free but big download from Microsoft and runs in its own virtual
environment and needs the other free download for Windows Virtual PC.

The Microsoft website addresses both programs here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

This web article might also be helpful:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/why-all-the-fuss-over-xp-mode/896?tag=man
tle_skin;content

I did it myself, but I'm a PC geek and the former network, hardware, &
software guru at my old employer [an engineering consulting firm].
If you are sufficiently PC savvy you might be able to do it yourself,
too; otherwise, get your IT to look into it.

David W. S. Blackwell, II, PE, CFI-I, CFPE
Engineering
Office of State Fire Marshal
141 Monticello Trail
Columbia, SC 29203