From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org
[mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org] On Behalf Of Ron Greenman
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 11:36 AM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: Re: THE on XP Pro

Trevor,

Without understanding the tech details I do understand the overall
problem. I just thought the whole work-around was funny and typical of
how Microsoft just keeps patching and patching and the programs just
grow in size.

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Trevor Spain <supp...@igneusinc.com> wrote:
> The primary problem is with 16 bit wide code.  When running a 64 bit
> operating system, the 64 bit processors can not run 16 bit code.  When
> running a 32 bit operating system 16 bit code is still supported.
>
> What you're doing with Virtual PC is emulating a 32 bit operating system as
> an application running on your 64 bit operating system so that you can
> execute old 16 bit code with it.
>
> Even some old 32 bit code programs used 16 bit code installers to save
> floppy disk space.  These programs could probably run if there was a way to
> install them but the setup program won't run.
>
> A virtualized XP is also a good place to try out programs downloaded from
> the internet that you're not sure of.  If it catches a virus, delete the two
> or three virtual pc image files and restore your backup.  Of course, that
> doesn't work if you don't have a backup.  Make sure and backup the windows
> xp virtual pc image files after your clean installation.
>
> On 10/28/2010 9:26 AM, Ron Greenman wrote:
>>
>> Interesting. Before Apple started using the Intel processor I had to
>> use Virtual PC to run Windows on my Mac. I can now run both OSX and
>> Windows natively on the Mac, but I need Virtual PC to run Win 7 on a
>> PC at a level sufficient to operate an ancient and simple PC program
>> on a PC?
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 5:39 AM, Trevor Spain<supp...@igneusinc.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Vista or Win 7 Home Premium users who have a valid XP installation disk
>>> can
>>> download Virtual PC 2007 free from microsoft.  Then install XP under
>>> Virtual
>>> PC for running old programs.
>>>
>>> Of course, if a mission critical application takes this much trouble to
>>> run
>>> now, what happens after a couple more windows releases?  It would seem
>>> prudent to setup a virtual environment running "THE" under Virtual PC (or
>>> Vmware or VirtualBox, etc.).  Then the XP image could be backed up and
>>> moved
>>> to new PC's as you upgrade.
>>>
>>> I would take this approach if I had years worth of system data I wanted
>>> keep access to.  I wouldn't keep digging that hole, though.  Might be
>>> time
>>> to look at other hydraulic calc apps that can easily run on vista and win
>>> 7.
>>>
>>> Trevor Spain
>>> Fire Pro Corporation
>>> 404 N Cedar
>>> Shelbyville, IL  62565

Ron Greenman
Instructor
Fire Protection Engineering Technology
Bates Technical College
1101 So. Yakima Ave.
Tacoma, WA 98405

rgreen...@bates.ctc.edu

http://www.bates.ctc.edu/fireprotection/

253.680.7346
253.576.9700 (cell)

Member:
AFSA, SFPE, ASCET, NFPA, NFSA, AFAA, ASEE, NIBS, WSAFM, WFC

They are happy men whose natures sort with their vocations. -Francis
Bacon, essayist, philosopher, and statesman (1561-1626)