There are some buildings here that go back to the 1930s. The hospital was started in 1912, but I don't think anything is that old. Finding old building codes could be challenging. Standpipes may have even been retrofits. Unless there is date stamped on an original device, there may be no way of telling. Their records of construction are not that complete. I will probably have to make assumptions on age and come to some agreement with the AHJ. I think the best we are going to get is something that meets the intent of 25 based on what we can find.
BTW, What is the purpose of testing a manual standpipe? I can understand with an automatic system because you are checking for water supply decline. As long as their haven't been any design changes and there are no pressure reducing devices, I can't see what problems could arise. The water supply boosted through a truck is going to more of a function of the apparatus than any internal building system. I don't get it. At 08:19 PM 1/10/2012, you wrote: >I've come across that before. With and without building pumps. I asked and >was told 'you tell us'. >With an external piece I'd limit the FDC pressure to 175 and try for 500, >250, 250.. For lack of no other suggestion. Close the FCV's. >I've had 3" standpipes with 1 3/4" FDV's, 2 1/2" with 1 1/2". You really >need to find what BC was in place, read it, and then find what edition of 14 >was referenced, if any. Gauge the hydrant, gauge the FDC, don't trust the >piece's (or Bldg. FP's) gauges for everything. >Welcome aboard. >TD > > >When were standpipes first stipulated to have a minimum pressure? I would >assume that at some point there was no minimum pressure standard (in the >days prior to hydraulic calculations). I am dealing with buildings up to 100 >years old. > >Todd G. Williams, PE > >_______________________________________________ >Sprinklerforum mailing list >[email protected] >http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum Todd G. Williams, PE Fire Protection Design/Consulting Stonington, CT 860.535.2080 www.fpdc.com _______________________________________________ Sprinklerforum mailing list [email protected] http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
