From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org on behalf of Brad Casterline
Sent: Mon 5/21/2012 2:02 PM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: Factory Mutual 1.2 or 1.4

Before this past Saturday morning, if asked, I would have said "I don't
think FM requires 1.4 anymore, especially if it is not a high risk
occupancy". But before Friday afternoon I was not even aware of FM Data
Sheet 3-0 HYDRAULICS OF FIRE PROTECTION SYSTEMS.

On page 21, for the Density/Demand Area Format, in a nutshell it says 1.2
for ceiling slopes less than or eq. to 5 degree (1 in 12 i think), and 1.4
for slopes greater than that!

Friday I had been reading the product data of a sprinkler head that I had
seen Advertised in a mag. (be careful if FM is not the only AHJ) and I saw
the above 1.2/1.4 requirement. It was a freak coincidence to shortly realize
that it had come from FM, not the manufacturer.

Is any one aware of this? Am I just "seeing things" here? Is there more or
less to it?

thanks,

Brad Casterline, NICET IV

Fire Protection Division

FSC, Inc.

P: 913-722-3473

bcasterl...@fsc-inc.com

www.fsc-inc.com

Engineering Solutions for the Built Environment