I do not believe "insufficient number of heads..." applies in this case, nor
that the most demanding scenario is obvious, especially if C=100, and you
have Pe differences.

-----Original Message-----
From: Cliff Whitfield [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:39 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Remote Area Question

Thanks David!  Just what I was looking for and apparently overlooked.

Have a great day!

Cliff Whitfield, SET
President
Fire Design, Inc.
Ph: 337-261-8807
Fx: 337-261-8808
 


[email protected]
www.fire-design.com


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of David Autry
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:34 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Remote Area Question

2007 Edition
22.4.4.1.1.3  

Stay on one side of the peak. It should be the most demanding (If all the
pipe sizes are the same)


David Autry

Meininger Fire Protection Inc.
2521 W L St. Suite No.4
Lincoln, Ne 68522
Voice (402) 466-2616
Fax (402) 466-2617
[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Travis Mack
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:29 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Remote Area Question

13 does address this. I am out so I can't find the exact section right now.
But, stop at your peak and pick up additional heads on the same cross main. 

Since you use AS, just put both remote areas on and see which is most
demanding. 

Travis Mack, SET
MFP Design, LLC

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 23, 2012, at 8:20 AM, "Cliff Whitfield" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Forumites,
> 
> I have a question regarding a remote area on a 'skinny' building and 
> since we can't include a 'snapshot' I will do my best to describe the 
> situation in question.
> 
> Picture a 80' x 400' building with a 1/12 slope and the peak at the 
> center of the building (40').  This is a dry system on a loading dock 
> for a trucking company.  I have a main on both sides of the building 
> (but not connected in a loop) with lines running up the slope so 
> everything will drain properly, thus my lines are approx 40' each and 
> do not connect in the middle (not a grid - it's dry).  My remote area 
> is to be 1.2 x the sq root of 1950 (just using this as an example) so 
> I will need at least 53' of branch line.
> 
> Since my branch lines are only 40' wide, obviously I have to cross the 
> peak to pick up the proper number of heads for a line.  Herein lies the
problem.
> I don't believe this is clearly spelled out in NFPA 13 (if it is, 
> please forgive me but also tell me where it is!).  Do you cross the 
> peak and pick up heads on lines that are connected to the opposite 
> main or do you stop at the peak, widen the remote area to include more 
> branch lines and make all of the heads flow thru the single main back to
the riser?
> 
> This can arise in a similar fashion in an office building, especially 
> if you are looping the system on the floor.
> 
> The question I have is - which solution is required/correct in 
> accordance with the way NFPA 13 is written.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Cliff Whitfield, SET
> President
> Fire Design, Inc.
> Ph: 337-261-8807
> Fx: 337-261-8808
>  
> [email protected]
> www.fire-design.com
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Sprinklerforum mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

Reply via email to