From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org
[mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org] On Behalf Of Fox Duane
T. (FireMarshal)
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2012 9:01 AM
To: 'sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org'
Subject: 13R underground

Can the underground for a 13R run under the building?

The 2007 edition applies and has nothing about underground.  I was under
the impression that issues not covered in 13R reverted back to NFPA 13
(by reference in Chap 2).  The project in question has an underground
running under the slab across a dwelling unit.  I looked at the 2010
edition and there is a section (5.3) that does address underground that
has an Annex section that muddies the waters about my question.  The
Annex states that pipe 4" and above has to meet NFPA 24 (although not
referenced in Chap 2) and pipe less than 4" does not have to use NFPA
24.  Section 5.3 states any pipe type is acceptable but does not really
discuss how it is to be laid or where it can't be laid.

Duane Fox, Jr., CFPS, CFI, CPFE
Asst Chief, Technical Services
DE State Fire Marshal's Office