"Some of the agencies ..."   It's like the story Henny Penny, except I'm
not a talking chicken and the sky's not really falling.  I have been on
three major and about 4 minor task groups related to residential
sprinklers, code adoption, code and standards amendments, etc., etc. at
the state and local levels.  In the course of that we have looked at
water supplies three times and all three times I have tried to find ANY
empirical data regarding stagnant water, dead ends, health statistics,
or ANYTHING that supports concerns about so-called stagnant water in
systems.  As best as I can tell, the number of reported cases of people
being sickened by stagnant water in domestic plumbing systems nationwide
over the past 25-30 years is ... zero people.   To be clear, I am
speaking to causation due to the dead end configuration of a system;
there have been incidents related to bacterial or chemical or other
intrusive issues, but not due to dead-end stagnation.  There is no
plumbing code restriction either - this is all about a PERCEIVED threat
due to the "non-potability" of residential fire sprinkler system
components, which itself is misinformation.    

So the answer to your question is no, there isn't any good literature.
I recommend that the discussion focus instead on the conspicuous ABSENCE
of any such documentary or even anecdotal substantiation of the concern.
If your AHJ is looking for "ammunition" and comes up with absolutely
nothing, is he or she thoughtful enough to consider the question in
reverse?


Steve Leyton




-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
Gary Stites
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 2:19 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Residential Sprinkler System effects on water potability

Some of the water agencies are really "up in arms" about 13D systems
with "dead ends". They are trying to limit the length of an armover etc.
Any good literature or discussions on potability issues on "stagnate"
water in the end of an armover, drop etc.? I have an AHJ ready to go
head to head with a water purveyor...looking for ammunition.

Gary Stites

Design Manager, CAD/BIM

RLH Fire Protection

*[email protected]* <[email protected]>**

661-213-9379

805-769-4626


RLH <http://www.rlhfp.com>
Google+ <https://plus.google.com/101832074405776300082/posts?hl=en>
Mr. Ricky <http://www.mrricky.net>
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler
.org
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to