I agree there are PROBLEMS but I don't see a total disagreement in what you
wrote.  Maybe it's in how we fix the problem.  My adamant position is that it
is a code enforcement issue, not an NFPA issue and damn sure not a NFPA 25
issue.

Roland

Roland Huggins, PE - VP Engineering
American Fire Sprinkler Assn.       ---      Fire Sprinklers Saves Lives
Dallas, TX
http://www.firesprinkler.org

On Nov 7, 2013, at 1:14 PM, Scott A Futrell <sco...@ffcdi.com> wrote:

> IMHO Roland, if I understand you correctly, I respectfully totally disagree.
> We do not have anything in place, at any level, to verify the design,
> installation, inspection, testing, or maintenance of existing or new
> sprinkler systems.  Technically, the legally adopted Fire Codes give the AHJ
> the power and authority, but they don't have the time, money, or people power
> to thoroughly review plans, inspect structures, and then review and inspect
> inspection, testing, and maintenance reports. Contractors don't do their own
> peer reviews before sending out plans or reviewing their own installations.
> Engineers (except for some FPE's) don't review installations.  Owners don't
> have a clue about IT&M requirements and how changes they or hired GC's affect
> sprinkler systems, and field inspections will not turn up the things others
> have mentioned and I see frequently.  EVEN if you give the owner a copy of
> NFPA 25 what percentage of them understand everything in the Standard and
> every i
 mplication to their system(s).  The things I see very frequently do end up
costing contractors (because they screwed up OR defending themselves when they
did it right) and owners (because it was wrong originally, they weren't told,
OR because they didn't do something(s) they should have) a great deal of time
and money because someone hasn't done something that IS in the Standard.
Insurance pays for a lot, but insurance goes up and insurance doesn't cover all
the lost time and revenue.