From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org] On
Behalf Of Cahill, Christopher
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 6:07 AM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: Re: exterior cooler/freezer

Its called a backdraft. Look it up or watch the movie. Yes it can burn. Also be
careful with statistics. One can show any given fire is highly unlikely. Yet
they still happen on a regular basis.

Chris Cahill
Fire Protection Engineer
Burns & McDonnell
ccah...@burnsmcd.com
952-656-3652 Todd - Work wrote:
I went to the jobsite yesterday to get the full scoop. This is a restaurant in
a strip mall. In back, there will be two boxes approximately 9 x 16 x 8(h). One
will be liquor storage, which needs to have an inside access. This will be
conditioned space and we will run 2 heads off the existing. The second is a
combination freezer/cooler with the front 10 ft cooler and the back 6 ft
freezer. That adds complications. You would now be looking at a 2 head dry
system. The owner is considering eliminating the inside access for that box.
They have contacted the AHJ to see if that would eliminate then need for
sprinklers.

My next question is on fire history in this type of box. By design, it will be
pretty much air tight to preserve the temperature. Given the size of the space,
would there be enough oxygen inside to sustain a fire that would expose the
main building? Is there any history of this type of fire?

Sent from my iPad