Unless the cooler is considered by the Building Official as a separate building
[and ALL appropriate ramifications of the building codes are then applied], why
would adding the cooler or freezer [regardless of the door being a
communicating opening or not] not be treated as part of the building?

Note the IBC applies to any appurtenances connected or attached to a building
per (2012) IBC:

[A] 101.2 Scope. The provisions of this code shall apply to the construction,
alteration, relocation, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and
occupancy, location, maintenance, removal and demolition of every building or
structure or any appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings or
structures.
Exception: Detached one- and two-family dwellings and multiple single-family
dwellings (townhouses) not more than three stories above grade plane in height
with a separate means of egress and their accessory structures shall comply
with the International Residential Code.

The 2012 IBC defines a building in Section 202:

[A] BUILDING. Any structure used or intended for supporting or sheltering any
use or occupancy.
*The code uses this term to identify those structures that provide shelter for
a function or activity. See the definition for “Area, building” for situations
when a single structure may be two or more “Buildings” created by fire walls.*

It is interesting to note this section of the IBC:

2603.4.1.2 Cooler and freezer walls. Foam plastic installed in a maximum
thickness of 10 inches (254 mm) in cooler and freezer walls shall:
1. Have a flame spread index of 25 or less and a smoke developed index of not
more than 450, where tested in
a minimum 4-inch (102 mm) thickness.
2. Have flash ignition and self-ignition temperatures of not less than 600°F
and 800°F (316°C and 427°C), respectively.
3. Have a covering of not less than 0.032-inch (0.8 mm) aluminum or
corrosion-resistant steel having a base metal thickness not less than 0.0160
inch (0.4 mm) at any point.
4. Be protected by an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section
903.3.1.1. Where the cooler or freezer is within a building, both the cooler or
freezer and that part of the building in which it is located shall be
sprinklered.

From the 2010 NFPA 13 note these sections:

8.1.1*   The requirements for spacing, location, and position of sprinklers
shall be based on the following principles:

(1)Sprinklers shall be installed throughout the premises.
[...]
(4)Sprinklers shall be permitted to be omitted from areas specifically allowed
by this standard.
[...]
(7)Furniture, such as portable wardrobe units, cabinets, trophy cases, and
similar features not intended for occupancy, does not require sprinklers to be
installed in them. This type of feature shall be permitted to be attached to
the finished structure.

A.8.1.1 This standard contemplates full sprinkler protection for all areas
including walk-in coolers, freezers, bank vaults, and similar areas. Other NFPA
standards that mandate sprinkler installation might not require sprinklers in
certain areas. Based upon experience and testing, sprinklers have been found to
be effective and necessary at heights in excess of 50 ft (15.2 m). For a
building to meet the intended level of protection afforded by NFPA 13,
sprinklers must not be omitted from such high ceiling spaces. The requirements
of this standard should be used insofar as they are applicable. The authority
having jurisdiction should be consulted in each case. A building is considered
sprinklered throughout when protected in accordance with the requirements of
this standard.

8.2.4    Multiple buildings attached by canopies, covered breezeways, common
roofs, or a common wall(s) shall be permitted to be supplied by a single fire
sprinkler riser. The maximum system size shall comply with 8.2.1.

8.2.5* Detached Buildings.

8.2.5.1    Unless the requirements of 8.2.5.2 apply, detached buildings,
regardless of separation distance, that do not meet the criteria of 8.2.4 shall
be provided with separate fire sprinkler systems.

8.2.5.2    When acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction, detached
structures shall be permitted to be supplied by the fire sprinkler system of an
adjacent building.

Respectfully,

David W. S. Blackwell, II, PE, CFPE, CFI I
Chief Engineer
Office of State Fire Marshal
SC Department of Labor, Licensing, & Regulation, 141 Monticello Trail,
Columbia, SC 29203
Telephone: 803.896.9800 [Office] 803.896.9833 [Direct]
Fax: 803.896.9806 [Office]
Email:   david.blackw...@llr.sc.gov
Website:  http://www.scfiremarshal.llronline.com/

Please note that you can sign up to receive automatic information on SC
Division of Fire and Life Safety current events, policies, laws and procedures
by visiting our Web site at:  http://www.scfiremarshal.llronline.com/