A sharkbite fitting is not unlike the Chinese finger cuff you might have played
with as a kid, except that instead of the finger cuff contracting to grip your
fingers as you try to pull them apart there are “shark” teeth to hold the
fingers. There is no glue. The teeth are what counteracts the end thrust of the
pressure inside the pipe times the inside pipe area. Think of a garden hose cut
in half over which you slipped a short section of another larger hose to “fix”
the cut by sticking each cut end into that short section of larger hose. The
force to keep that repair from just slipping apart is the end thrust. Its value
is the inside cross section area times the pressure in the hose. Think about
what the maximum internal pressure your piping system is typically good for.
Times that value by the pipe section area. Its not a small number. Say you had
a concrete block of that weight being held up by a plastic pipe joined to
another plastic pipe by this fitting. Would you sleep under that or would you
move your bed over a bit?

If there is such a thing for sprinkler use, I could see using it for emergency
purposes only with some jerry rig thrust restraint to bring a facility quickly
back up to service without having to wait for the proper CPVC cure time, but
knowing that a real repair will have to be scheduled in the near future.

Allan Seidel
St. Louis

> On Mar 18, 2016, at 3:29 PM, Parsley Consulting <parsleyconsult...@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> I'm not too terribly clear on how some sort of thrust block is needed, unless
> it were at either end of the line.  This fitting is a "flow though" device,
> with no change of direction.
>
> Is the manufacturer telling us that once the line is put under pressure that
> the fitting can be pushed apart?
>
> Aren't the nearest changes in direction, presuming the entire line is CPVC,
> assembled using solvent welded joints, which by definition are restrained
> joints?
>
> This note on their cut sheet really baffles me.
> *Ken Wagoner, SET
> *Parsley Consulting***
> *350 West 9th Avenue, Suite 206
> *Escondido, California 92025
> *****Phone 760-745-6181*
> Visit our website <http://www.parsleyconsulting.com/>
>

> ***
> On 03/18/2016 11:59 AM, Richard Carr wrote:
>> You would have to get creative on the thrust block, unistrut, 90 the end of
>> line to get a hanger to keep the line from pushing apart, if you already had
>> armovers or a line that jogged you should be ok.
>>
>> Richard Carr, SET
>> Branch Manager
>> Cox Fire Protection, Inc
>> 6555 Grace Lane.