Jerry,
from the 2013 edition:

   11.5.2 For a manual standpipe, a fire department pumper orportable
   pump of a capacity to provide required flow and pressureshall be
   used to verify the system design by pumping intothe fire department
   connection.

Steve Leyton pointed that out to me a few years back.
*Ken Wagoner, SET
*Parsley Consulting***
*350 West 9th Avenue, Suite 206
*Escondido, California 92025