*From:* Sprinklerforum [mailto:
sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org] *On Behalf Of *Steve Leyton
*Sent:* Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:12 AM
*To:* sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
*Subject:* RE: Static pressure after backflow preventer

My understanding of backflow performance and the mapping of those curves is
that the devices impose more pressure loss at opening than at closing. So
that spike at 0 GPM is an accurate reflection of the higher pressure loss
that occurs at the initiation of a flow event and it almost always ramps
right back down once flow rate gets into the dozens or above 100.

But at zero flow, we've always used the ambient static and my vague
recollection is that several years ago I confirmed this either with our
local Wilkins rep are their factory in San Luis Obispo. I do know that we
have never been corrected by an AHJ or third party consultant so I'm 99.9%
sure that this is the accepted best practice.

Steve L.