Reza:

Isn't the pump size going to be driven by your standpipe? Or is it a manual wet standpipe and the fire dept connection is your supply? If the pump is going to be solely based on the sprinklers, does your local code permit small orifice sprinklers. For example, if your project is an office, you may be able to use 4.2k sprinklers and cut down the discharge.

Travis Mack, SET
MFP Design, LLC
2508 E Lodgepole Drive
Gilbert, AZ 85298
480-505-9271
fax: 866-430-6107
email:[email protected]

http://www.mfpdesign.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MFP-Design-LLC/92218417692
Send large files to us via: https://www.hightail.com/u/MFPDesign
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/travismack

On 2/9/2017 5:55 AM, Tim Stone wrote:

Reza,

Two separate calcs are needed.

One to prove the Standpipe demand at 65 PSI.

Then Calculate the Sprinkler system by itself.

The fire pump will be designed based on the highest demand. Usually the Standpipe requirements will determine the fire pump needed.

Regards,

*G. Tim Stone*

*/G. Tim Stone Consulting, LLC/*

*NICET Level III Engineering Technician*

*Fire Protection Sprinkler Design*

*and Consulting Services*

*                117 Old Stage Rd. - Essex Jct., VT. 05452*

*CELL: (802) 373-0638   TEL: (802) 434-2968   Fax: (802) 434-4343*

[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>

*From:* Sprinklerforum [mailto:[email protected]] *On Behalf Of *Reza Esmaeili
*Sent:* Thursday, February 9, 2017 7:05 AM
*To:* [email protected]
*Subject:* Reducing Sprinklers' Pressure in a Combined Standpipe/Sprinkler System

Hi forumites,

As per NFPA 14, in a combined standpipe/sprinkler system, the minimum pressure at the outlet of most remote 1 1⁄2 in. hose station should be 65psi. As standpipe and sprinkler riser in shared, I want to reduce the pressure to the sprinklers to around 15psi in order to reduce the total sprinklers flow demand and finally to select a smaller fire pump.

What is the most cost-effective way to do that? Can I use a restrictor? For example, if the main sprinkler pipe at each floor is 3", can I install a short 1" pipe just at the beginning to reduce sprinklers pressure. Can I do that? I checked this in a hydraulic calculation software and in works fine, but I am not sure if this is a right way.

Best,
Reza
www.sarian.ir <http://www.sarian.ir>



_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to