From: Sprinklerforum <sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org> On Behalf
Of Fire Design
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2018 1:21 PM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: NFPA 13 RESIDENTIAL Exterior Corridor

Hi Guys,

I'm working on an apartment complex that is being designed per NFPA 13
standards (2016). All the rooms open from an exterior covered corridor that is
6 ft wide, combustible, and therefore requires sprinklers. I will need to use
dry sidewall sprinklers for this and I see there are no residential dry
sidewall sprinklers with an intermediate temperature rating. (TYCO makes one
that is good to 155F) So, this means I will need to go with quick response
sprinklers in a project that can otherwise be designed per the residential
section of '13. Now, I figured being a corridor I would only need to calculate
5 or 7 sprinklers and that figure comes to mind but now the only reference I
can find for that is for the room design method which I cannot use in this case
since it's open to the exterior and it's not really a single row of sprinklers
- they are fed from the interior main which is looped. If I cannot find a
residential dry sidewall sprinkler good for 200F does this mean I will need to
calculate the full design area? I feel like I'm overlooking something critical
here but I've already been through chapters 11 and 23 page by page and I cannot
find anything that will allow a smaller design area.

Any help is appreciated - I don't want to pull the trigger on this when I have
this nagging feeling that I'm forgetting something.

-Anthony

---