There is a jurisdiction in Washington that has a similar requirement for
private garages as Owen described when attached (maybe detached too but
I've not needed to ask). The AHJs argument is that although Washington
State does not require SFD garages sprinklered he wants them sprinklered in
his jurisdiction. He falls back on the building code and argues that an SFD
is a parking structure and so an S2 occupancy requiring OH1 coverage.
Another jurisdiction requires detached garages to be sprinklered to a 13D
design (arguing that such doesn't exist falls on deaf ears) depending on
the number of cars that can fit in it. Other jurisdictions have varying
rules regarding densities, sprinkler location, and whether the garage needs
to be fully covered or partially covered. Often these requirements are
codified and applied uniformly and sometimes they aren't.

Ron Greenman

rongreen...@gmail.com

253.576.9700

The Universe is monstrously indifferent to the presence of man. -Werner
Herzog, screenwriter, film director, author, actor and opera
director (1942-)