Cliff-
It's my understanding that the suction PSI for the pump vendor is not the same 
as the static pressure. It's the pressure when the pump is running and water is 
flowing so there is no cavitation etc. Normally it's not a big deal if we 
design the system because the software I use will tell me what the pressure is. 
Since we didn't do the original system I'm not totally sure how to attack it. 
I've googled and read until my head was ready to explode, I just figured some 
of the old school guys may have a "rule of thumb" approach.

Brian Harris, CET
BVS Systems Inc.
bvssytemsinc.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Sprinklerforum <[email protected]> On Behalf 
Of cliff--- via Sprinklerforum
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2020 12:29 PM
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Pump Suction Pressure (NPSH)

Brian,

I may be looking at this too 'simply', but wouldn't your suction pressure be 
the static pressure at the flow test location plus or minus any pressure gain 
or loss for any difference between the elevation of the flow test and the fire 
pump suction?

Cliff Whitfield, SET
President

Fire Design, Inc.
600 W. Bypass Hwy. 19E
Suite 202
Burnsville, NC 28714
Ph: 828-284-4772
 


-----Original Message-----
From: Sprinklerforum <[email protected]> On Behalf 
Of Brian Harris via Sprinklerforum
Sent: Thursday, August 6, 2020 11:24 AM
To: [email protected]
Cc: Brian Harris <[email protected]>
Subject: Pump Suction Pressure (NPSH)

We're replacing a pump in an existing system and the pump vendor wants to know 
the pump suction pressure. Since we didn't do the original system and I know 
nothing about it what is a practical way of determining the pump suction to 
tell the vendor?

Brian Harris, CET
BVS Systems Inc.
Design Manager
bvssystemsinc.com<http://bvssystemsinc.com/>
Phone: 704.896.9989
Fax: 704.896.1935

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org


--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to