From: Sprinklerforum <sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org> On Behalf
Of 321 via Sprinklerforum
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2021 12:54 PM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Cc: 321 <tcf...@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Shop Drawings vs Design Drawings in Florida

This is primarily for our Florida Fire Sprinkler Contractors but others feel
free to comment.
We have a repair job in an Oceanfront Condo Parking Garage that requires the
complete replacement of all the original Pipe, Fittings, Hangers and Sprinklers
due to corrosion. The system was installed in 1988 using black pipe, fittings
and hangers. Our scope is to remove and replace the entire corroded system and
replace it in it's original designed position relative to head location and
type (K Factor/Temp Rating), spacing, elevation, etc. The piping is to be
exactly the same size and located in the same position with the only difference
being that all the new pipe, fittings and hangers will be galvanized and the
new heads will be corrosion resistant. There are about 275 heads in this job.
There are no building drawings or Fire Sprinkler Drawings available for this
project since the AHJ doesn't keep records and the companies that installed the
work in 1988 no longer exist. To facilitate our installation, and at the
request of the Local Fire Department, we physically measured the garage and
existing system and produced a "Shop Drawing" for our permit application. We
noted on the plans that this was a "Repair of an existing system, did not add,
alter or relocate the position of any of the existing equipment and was a like
for like replacement of an existing severely corroded system".
Our State Statutes states :
633.322 County, municipal, and special district powers; effect of ch.
75-240.—(1) This chapter does not limit the power of a municipality, county, or
special district to regulate the quality and character of work performed by
contractors through a system of permits, fees, and inspections which are
designed to secure compliance with, and aid in the implementation of, state and
local building laws or to enforce other local laws for the protection of the
public health and safety.(2) This chapter does not limit the power of a
municipality, county, or special district to adopt any system of permits
requiring submission to and approval by the municipality, county, or special
district of plans and specifications for work to be performed by contractors
before commencement of the work, except that a municipality, county, or special
district may not require a fire protection system contractor’s shop drawings to
be sealed by a professional engineer.(3) An official authorized to issue
building or other related permits shall ascertain that the applicant contractor
is duly certified before issuing the permit. The evidence shall consist only of
the exhibition to him or her of evidence of current certification.(4) The State
Fire Marshal shall inform each county and municipal building department, prior
to November 1 of each year, of the names of the certified contractors and the
type of certificate held. We submitted our Shop Drawings of the System along
with our Permit Application. The Local Fire Plans Review people have rejected
our application stating that they require "Signed and Sealed Drawings for all
"New Designs" of 49 or more Heads. I called and explained that this is not a
"New Design" and that these are "Shop Drawings" to be used as an installation
guide for our crews to "Accurately Reproduce the existing system as it is." We
are NOT adding, relocating or deleting any sprinklers with this work. They
won't budge.
Our Association Director (Former State Fire Marshal Buddy DeWar) agrees with me
on this as does the Southern District Deputy State Fire Marshal.
My owner /client will not pay for the added expense of having a PE come in,
review the systems in this 35 year old building and "Sign and Seal" these
plans...nor should he.
Have any of you contractors in Florida run up against this recently?
Your thoughts and suggestions welcome.
John W. FarabeeFire Protection ManagerCertified Lower Keys Plumbing and FireKey
West, Florida
561-707-5150