From: Sprinklerforum <sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org> On Behalf
Of Scott Harvey via Sprinklerforum
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2022 12:53 AM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Cc: Scott Harvey <sc...@harveyplumbing.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Obstructed vs Unobstructed Construction

Hi all, I have a question for the group.

I've got a storeroom, ceiling is open to structure.  The roof structure is
solid wood joists, which are fully insulated between each joist.

We have installed standard spray upright sprinklers with the deflectors approx
8-10 inches below the bottom of the joist/insulation.

In my mind, this is unobstructed construction, because per "A.8.5.4.1 Batt
insulation creates an effective thermal barrier and can be considered the
ceiling/roof deck when determining distances between deflector and ceiling."
Chapter 3 defines Obstructed Construction "Panel construction and other
construction where beams, trusses, or other members impede heat flow or water
distribution in a manner that materially affects the ability of the sprinkler
to control or suppress a fire".

Now that I look at this again, I'm thinking I am wrong and should be obstructed
construction because although the batt insulation creates a thermal barrier
(similar to a smooth ceiling) the structure is still the same, so I would need
to keep my upright sprinklers max 6-inches below the bottom of structure?

Would appreciate input from the group.

Thanks,

Scott Harvey, CET