"Why would one want a fire separation?"  and this is a fire protection
forum?
Depending on egress capacity, combustible finishes, kitchen fuel load,
future resale value:  sprinkler the entire occupancy.  Marginal cost to
finish the entire occupancy is minimal once the water source and supply and
riser are paid for.

Sprinkler just the kitchen with 15 ft extension at line of separation, if
want risk-based protection.

If Code allows no sprinklers (because someone judges-with-uncertainty) that
the kitchen is not an incidental occupancy to the dining area, then
document your reasons (regardless of the strategic decision), and go naked
regarding effective-fire-suppression.

Water curtains are of marginal performance efficiency.
If kitchen fire involves oils, a spill fire will flow through the curtain.
If kitchen pantry flashes over, toxic CO will flow right through the water
curtain.
My guess is there SHOULD be no problem with egress, but that should be
documented....

Scot Deal
Excelsior Fire Engineering
gms:  +420 606 872 129

La semplicità è la sofisticatezza finale - da vince