From: Eric Rieve <e...@rievefire.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2022 10:40 AM
To: Discussion list on issues relating to automatic fire sprinklers
<sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org>
Subject: [Sprinklerforum] Re: BFP on underground supply

You'll probably get some pretty diverse answers depending on how one views the
intent behind the provision. The commentary advises using the full diameter of
the riser as the outlet size to theoretically allow the test to be performed
without needing to measure the flow with a pitot or hose monster setup. While
this is true, and does adequately provide for exercising the backflow checks,
it seems very wasteful to install a setup capable of flowing system demand and
then not provide a few more inexpensive components that would allow the setup
to accurately measure the flow (and pressure) from a hydraulic design
perspective. While NFPA 25 doesn't require this accurate measurement
specifically for the backflow exercise, it does require verifying the system
demand from the private water main feeding that backflow at 5 year intervals.

Further, a fully functional flow test assembly has immeasurable uses when it
comes to system modifications, and future water supply degradation testing that
may someday be necessary. Finally, when filling out your aboveground
certificate for system acceptance. I'd much rather know that I flowed system
demand and maintained the appropriate residual pressure for the design as
opposed to probably way overflowing demand through a full port opening and
having an unusable pressure gauge reading.

Every riser is different obviously, and we've arranged them all sorts of ways
depending on the situation. Sometimes we've used the single main drain and just
installed a brass NPT x NST adapter on the exterior fitting. Other times we've
installed one or two 2.5" NPT angle valves on saddles directly after the
backflow with nipples through the wall to NST adapters on the exterior.
Sometimes if the riser room has an exterior door we've just thrown two 2.5"
angle hose valves on saddles or a grooved Siamese inlet. Our larger warehouse
systems generally get a butterfly valve inside and full derby manifold on the
exterior when they start getting into the 800gpm+ range. If you install an
arrangement that allows for accurate waterflow measurement then you can prove
your assembly meets the requirements.

Hope this helps!

Eric
Rieve Fire Protection