From: Micah Davis <micah...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2023 6:53 AM
To: SprinklerForum <sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org>
Subject: [Sprinklerforum] Pressure Regulating Valves Residual Pressures

Good morning, Forum!  I hope everyone is having a great week!!

I think I got this right, but someone is questioning me.  I have an automatic
standpipe with factory pressure-regulating valves (i.e., Zurn 4000).  When
calculating residual pressures at the inlet of the PRV to be used in the sizing
charts, the question is, how much water should I be flowing in the system?  One
suggestion is only flowing 250 gpm at the hose valve you are sizing.  The other
suggestion is flowing the system demand flow per NFPA 14.  In this case, that
would be 750 gpm (250 gpm at each of the two most remote hose valves plus 250
gpm at the top of the only other standpipe).  We are in agreement that the
calculation should be a source calc to determine the actual pressure provided
by the system.

Thank you,
Micah Davis
Ferguson Fire Design