Hi,

These are my opinions:

El 27/01/15 a las 16:30, Gonzalo Peña-Castellanos escribió:
Hi all

I would like to put on the table something that needs to be tackled at some point (Spyder 2.4 perhaps) and is the way Spyder looks by default on platforms and
how we (users/developers) would like it to be.

After all a first impression is a lasting one when looking for alternatives to do a specific job. I believe also than in science and technical work (where Spyder,
shines) people (guilty as charged) do not often pay attention to looks.

We should change that and look deeper into this, so... first, lets look at our friends
over *Rstudio*:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QuUwwrVg-qA/VMf-BkSt0eI/AAAAAAAC4TM/CRcSXMSrjNw/s1600/rstudio.png>

Looks nice, pretty clean and simple.

Now lets start from scratch on Linux... erase .spyder2 and
started fresh and this is what I get:

<https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TCaoGGpekio/VMf-IUNdQiI/AAAAAAAC4TU/AAG8LJ3VyI0/s1600/spyder.png>

So in general, pretty similar and a default "Clean looks" in Spyder which I really like.

Now the remarks:

  * I do not like the boxes that get drawn around the title of each
    dockwidget (e.g. Object inspector)
      o I do not like the fact that there is no margi in this titles,
        everything seems to close to the left corner

Yes, this is not good but I don't know how to fix it :-)

  * The default dockwidget margin is 0, I think it should be somthing
    BUT 0, maybe 4...
      o If you do this, the tabs of the docwidgets do not move with
        this margin and you get this weird effect
      o If you leave this in 0 the right and left margins are zero, so
        the content of widgets seems to be lost in the end of the
        screen (right or left)

Again, I don't know how to fix it.

  * Some widgets have a clear delimited box around their main
    content... some widgets do not
      o The object inspector does not, there is no division between
        the white background and the dockwidget

Should we add a division? I don't feel like it :-)

      o The ipython console seems to have double border lines, but
        only on the top (same for editor)
          + This seems related to widgets that have tabs....
      o Whereas the internal console has single border line
      o And history log has double border lines

I don't understand what you mean by border lines

  * Very personal thing, but I really do not like the toolbars
      o They take up space and the icons look ugly and outdated
      o The first thing I do after a fresh start is hiding all
        toolbars, (which makes me want to include that action
        somewhere in the view menu

We took the icons from several icon sets. We could try to use only one of them, e.g. just Oxygen icons but leave the debug icons (because there aren't good ones in Oxygen, if I remember correctly :-)

I like our toolbars because they suggest a lot of functionality that otherwise would be hard to point to to our users. Besides, they take very little space (just 25px) in the default setup.

  * *General Comments*
      o The icons in general seem to have grown as needed, and there
        seems to be missing a common design line for them
      o There has been some icon redesign proposals (issue 950

<http://code.google.com/p/spyderlib/issues/detail?id=950&q=icons&colspec=ID%20MS%20Stars%20Priority%20Modified%20Cat%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary>)
      o There has been some internal threads on using Font Awesome
        icons <http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icons/> as
        base and extend from there as needed
          + Two sets, monochrome (plain or with a gray gradient), and
            color (to be defined)

I think we should improve our current icon set (as I said above) and add a Font awesome one so users can select it if they want to. However, Font Awesome should be the second option, not the default. That's because a lot of people has accustomed to our current look and feel.

      o I think the toolbars are to big and take up too much space

I don't agree. We really need them to suggest most of Spyder functionality. Perhaps removing "Current working directory", and not showing "Debug buttons" when the user is not debugging would be wiser.

      o Do we need all those menus? Could we reoganize them in a more
        compact/logical way?
          + A menu just for consoles with only 3 actions seems unneeded.

How do you propose we open new consoles instead? And "Connecting to external kernels"?

          + Same for debug, same for source

How users are going to figure out how to add breakpoints? Debug was part of Run before, but I decided to add it as a different menu so that the functionality would be clearly visible. If we put a lot of options under a single menu, then users won't bother to explore the whole submenus.

Source will be expanded by adding the ability to show/hide blank spaces, and probably snippets, and selecting the file type for syntax highlighting.

Besides, why do we need fewer menus? I don't see that we are running out of space in that area, so I don't think it's critical :-)

      o Search could be a toolbar only, and be much smaller...

I don't understand this suggestion.

      o Too much customization seems lovely but we are getting too
        many shortcuts and too much freedom in dockwidgets
          + dockwidgets should be locked by default

I think people like to move and reorganize dock widgets. We received several complaints when moving docks was making Spyder crash some years ago. And that was with a much smaller user base.

We could make fixed docks the default under the alphas and betas of 2.4 to see what people feel about it.

      o We should have a nice modal fade in dialog to display all the
        available shortcuts (or do we have this?)
          + Similar to what you get in Ubuntu when pressing and hold
            the "Windows" key

That page could be rendered in the Object Inspector as html for easier inspection. A modal dialog would make people to open and close it to inspect shortcuts.

      o Should we have a Start screen on first run? Yes we do :)
          + Should we also have a homepage when starting spyder,
            listing reent files and recent projects?
          + Example link

<https://github.com/OpenCobolIDE/OpenCobolIDE/blob/master/doc/source/_static/Home.png>

That could be added too to the Object Inspector, but I don't like it too much. RStudio doesn't have it :-)

So yes, some things could be improved and some rough edges need to become smooth

What do you think in general of Spyder looks and how would you make it better?

For now I think making the icon set more consistent and fixing the look of our dock widgets would be a great improvement. We should also work on improve our look on high resolution screens, but unfortunately I don't own one.

Cheers,
Carlos

Cheers

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "spyder" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to spyderlib+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:spyderlib+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to spyderlib@googlegroups.com <mailto:spyderlib@googlegroups.com>.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/spyderlib.