Here is a more complete explanation for my case (my earlier input was
admittedly less than informative!). Am realizing now it's probably not a
Spyder-specific issue.

I am running Anaconda Python 2.7.10-1 in 64-bit Windows. I just updated to
spyder 2.3.7. I also updated my ipython-qtconsole to 4.0.1.

I get the error on opening ipython using any of these ways:

* 'ipython qtconsole' from the commandline in an 'Anaconda Command Window'

* starting the qt console application direct from the Anaconda Launcher
(1.0.0)

* ipython qt console within spyder, after launching spyder from Anaconda
Launcher (in either of the two Anaconda environments I use) or just
launching spyder directly