Hi all,

On the behalf of Spyder’s development team (https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/graphs/contributors), I’m pleased to announce the second beta of our next major version: Spyder 3.0.

We’ve been working on this version for more than a year now and as far as we know it’s working very well. There are still several bugs to squash but we encourage all people who like the bleeding edge to give it a try. This second beta is released four months after our first one and it includes more than 600 commits!

Spyder 3.0 comes with several interesting and exciting new features. The most important ones are:

1. A file switcher very similar to the Sublime Text one (which can be
   activated with |Ctrl+P|).
2. A new icon theme based on FontAwesome (not yet activated by default).
3. A new set of default pane layouts for those coming from Rstudio or
   Matlab (under |View > Window layouts|).
4. Syntax highlighting for all file types supported by Pygments (a pure
   Python highlighting library).
5. A simpler and more intuitive way to introduce keyboard shortcuts.
6. Support for PyQt5.

For a complete list of changes, please see here:

https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/wiki/Beta-version-changelog

You can easily install this beta if you use Anaconda by running:

|conda install -c spyder-ide spyder |

Or you can download it from our Releases page: https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/releases and previously installing QtAwesome with

|pip install qtawesome |

Enjoy!