On Fri, Apr 16, 2021, at 7:15 AM, Nikola Radovanovic wrote:
> Hi,
> we have one Postgres DB with multiple schemes:
>  1. general (one schema, contains users and some common and data shared
> between clients/clusters)
>  2. client schemes: c_client_1, c_client_2, c_client_3, etc. (all clients
> have same table layout, and have some access to general schema)
>  3. cluster schemes: cl_cluster_1, cl_cluster_2, cl_cluster_3, etc. (all
> clusters have same table layout, and have some access to general schema)
> Basically, I want to find the best possible way to handle migrations -
> preferably using one env.py/alembic.ini.

yes, use the recipe for passing --name, but you can have everything in one
alembic.ini file and one env.py file as long as that file knows how to respond
to the different environments

> Each client/cluster should have its migration table in its own schema and
> general has its own migration table in general schema. Client and cluster
> will share base class with.
>
> What I noticed is when using schema_translation_map, table layout is detected
> OK, but when I run migration next time, it does not detect changes in tables,
> but entire tables again. I guess it is due schema_translation_map is not used
> then.

schema_translate_map is not supported by migrations right now:
https://github.com/sqlalchemy/alembic/issues/555

use the search_path recipe at
https://alembic.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/cookbook.html#rudimental-schema-level-multi-tenancy-for-postgresql-databases
 , this has been tested.