flush() starts its own transaction and commits it.  if you have already
opened a transaction on the current session, then it will nest inside
the larger transaction.  see the SessionTransaction documentation for
details.

Also, the pickle type not getting updated is something that was fixed
in the 0.3 series, and we have unit tests that insure a non-changed
pickle type does not trigger an update.  I need a fully functioning
test script showing me your schemas for this one.  (using PickleType,
correct?)

additionally, if you call a flush() inside a larger transaction, and
the flush fails, its going to roll the transaction back.  not sure what
functionality youre looking for , a flush that commits part of the way,
screws up, and doesnt roll back the invalid data , so that you can
commit it all ?  are you sure you arent looking for a separate
transaction to commit the data that "must" be committed ?