obviously you need to forward along that test case.  i have no idea
what changed in 0.2.8 to 0.3 that could be slowing it down like that
without seeing some actual code.  there have been plenty of major
changes (but none come to mind with regards to object creation).

also, id say dont use the threadlocal plugin, its crap.  it was only
designed for 0.1 backwards compatibility.  although i doubt its the
cause of the speed hit here.

also, try out the trunk as I just made a major improvement to cascade
performance yesterday.