> [...] I now have the the
> overall time running within 10% of the 0.2.8 test, and the "inner" time
> is within 20%.  It was another one of those debugger lines which I now
> made conditional.
Great !! And thanks for your explanation.As usual, this is all about
speed/performance vs. maintainability/elegant-code, and I completely
understand and agree with you: having a clean code, easy to understand, which
can easily evolve is worth, even if some speed degradation occurs,
particularly (I guess) when developping an ORM.  A treshold has to be found
between both, and your logging optimisations clearly improve the speed (for
me, run twice faster than previous 0.3.1, for the original tests).

> anyway, current speed test in rev 2127:
>
> 0.3/rev 2127:
> total time 1.67651295662
> real    0m2.658s
> user    0m1.707s
> sys     0m0.391s
>
> 0.2.8:
> total time 1.40534806252
> real    0m2.255s
> user    0m1.457s
> sys     0m0.379s
Arrgh... While using the last revision improves speed, I do not have the same
results... I'm probably missing something (maybe about the compiled mappers).
Could you send back the modified tests so I can see what optimisations have
been made ?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Seb