one thing that could make ORM loads much faster would be if you knew
the objects would not need to be flushed() at a later point, and you
disabled history tracking on those instances.  this would prevent the
need to create a copy of the object's attributes at load time.

This reminds me a functionality I was looking for a few weeks ago. I'd liked to be able to load read-only objects from a database. Read-only objects were (are still) useful for me when retrieving data from a "precious" database (production db), ensuring no update/insert/delete operations would occur. Another scenario is an app which can actually do these operations, and another app which musn't. While this can be done using grants, it could be useful (and easier) if things could be done at the ORM level.

Is there any other way to get those read-only objects, without implementing this functionality ?

Cheers,

--
Sébastien LELONG
sebastien.lelong[at]sirloon.net