On 12/02/07, Jonathan LaCour <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Today, we are pleased to announce the release of Elixir
> (http://elixir.ematia.de), a declarative mapper for SQLAlchemy.  Elixir
> is the successor to ActiveMapper and TurboEntity, and is a collaboration
> between Daniel Haus, Jonathan LaCour and Gaƫtan de Menten.  Elixir's
> website provides installation instructions, a tutorial, extensive
> documentation, and more.
>
> The eventual goal of Elixir is to become an official SQLAlchemy
> extension after some time soliciting feedback, bug reports, and testing
> from users.

As someone who was resisting moving to SQLAlchemy due to the apparent
complexity, I've had a look through the introduction and the sample TG
app, and this looks wonderful.  I'm now eager to move to this as the
syntax now looks preferable to SQLObject (and writing my model is 90%
of what I do with the ORM).

A few points that came up as I was going through the docs and example:

- You asked whether people preferred the with_fields or has_field
style.  I much prefer the with_fields style as it makes the code much
more 'scannable'.

- The has_many statement immediately makes sense, but the belongs_to
and has_and_belongs_to_many statements don't make obvious sense.  It
took me a while to get my head round them.  I think in general trying
to use natural language for things like this is a nice friendly thing
for extreme newcomers, but tends to prevent them from understanding
what is really going on.  Also, unless the metaphors used are very
accurate, they can actually be misleading.  Movies don't belong to a
Genre.  There just happens to point to another.  Maybe an optional set
of statements with clearer meanings would be a useful addition?

- Because the has_many, belongs_to and has_and_belongs_to_many
statements are all quite different lengths, it makes it harder to scan
through them.  If they were all similar lengths it would make it more
readable. (Particularly as, when formatted according to PEP8, this
syntax has very little whitespace)

As it is though, this is wonderful.  Thank you.  I'm going to start
using it very soon, and I guess I can override the statements easily
enough (that won't break anything will it?).

Ed