Oops, guess I was lucky that in my case, the triggers only did updates
and no inserts. (I wasn't even aware of them before I ran into the
problem, as I did not set up the database)

> What are the alternatives? Well, there are two:
>
>    IDENT_CURRENT ('tablename')
>
> gives the last identity value assigned to this table
> *in any session* (<alert>race condition</alert>)
>
> or
>
>    SCOPE_IDENTITY ()
>
> which seems to be what we're after here; it's like @@IDENTITY
> but for the same "scope" (not a widely-used term in SQL
> Server circles, as far as I know). The documentation
> specifically gives this case as an example.
>
> Looks to me like this would be the best bet for sqlalchemy's
> purposes, but I'm sure there's a downside somewhere ;)
>
> Comments?
> TJG

SCOPE_IDENTITY() seems the right choice. I don't know if there are
hidden problems, but if there are, it looks like @@IDENTITY will have
them too. So it seems safer than @@IDENTITY in any case.