It permits escaping of the wild LIKE characters _ and %.

Say, for example, I have this column data:
1 larry_one
2 larry_two
3 larrysmall
4 larrybig
5 larry_small
6 larry_big

SELECT my_name FROM names WHERE my_name LIKE 'larry_%'

would return all the rows; but using

SELECT my_name FROM names WHERE my_name LIKE 'larry\_%' ESCAPE '\'

see:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.db2.udb.admin.doc/doc/r0000751.htm

would return not return rows 3 and 4